menu

One year anniversary of Debelle Report

Today marks one year since the Debelle Report was handed down.

The Debelle Report investigated the Weatherill Labor Government’s handling of the rape of a child at a western suburbs school.

The case led to a Royal Commission, resulted in a Minister being sacked and sparked broad community outrage at the systemic failure of child protection in the Education Department.

“There are still a number of unanswered questions and issues arising from the Debelle Inquiry which must now be answered by the Weatherill Labor Government,” said Shadow Education Minister David Pisoni.

“Firstly, the Weatherill Labor Government must release the unedited version of the Debelle Report.

“Justice Debelle recommended that all non-confidential transcripts of evidence and exhibits be released to the public at the same time, as this serious ongoing matter is firmly in the public interest.

“The Weatherill Labor Government also needs to demonstrate to South Australians that lessons arising from the Debelle Inquiry have been heeded and must update South Australians as to how the implementation of the Report’s recommendations is progressing.

“The Weatherill Labor Government has a responsibility to the South Australian community to ensure that this systemic failure of the child protection system never happens again.”

Following Mark Christopher Harvey’s sentencing on Friday, the State Liberals also called on the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to review the sentence.

“On face value, it appears the sentence handed down to Mr Harvey is grossly inconsistent and out of line with community expectations,” said Mr Pisoni.

“The State Liberals expect the DPP to review the sentence handed down last week and hopefully appeal the sentence that has been given.”